Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Those Places Thursday - Acacia Farm, Nelligen


Acacia Farm, Clyde River, Nelligen
George and Catherine Lee
"Acacia Farm" has been part of our family history for over 100 years.  The old farmhouse was on the banks of the Clyde River, up stream from the small town of Nelligen, NSW, Australia. My great grandparents George Thomas Lee and his wife Catherine (nee McGregor) moved to the farm in the early 1900's, with their family of nine children.  

My Grandmother Christine Sterland Lee was their seventh child, and she and her siblings would travel by boat down the Clyde River to the small school in Nelligen.

 When I was very young I can remember crossing the Clyde River on the punt at Nelligen (in the days before the bridge was built).  In the Christmas holidays cars would line up for miles waiting for their turn to go across on the Punt.  We would get out of the car and look over the side and watch all the jellyfish in the river. There used to be thousands of them blobbing along in the water as we passed.

Waiting to catch Punt to cross the Clyde River, Nelligen
Dad used to tell stories of when he lived there with his grandmother (Catherine Lee) after his father, Malcolm Shepherd died following a logging accident. He described how they would row the boat down the river  to Nelligen for supplies and catch the tide on the way back to the farm. I can remember visiting there as a little girl with my dad and Pop. My Nan's brother Uncle Jordie lived there at the time. We walked down to the paddock towards The Point where there was a nice little sandy beach. Uncle Jordie was growing turnips and I remember he pulled out a couple and gave to me to give to Nan to make soup. The lushness of the farm made a big impression on me as at that time our family lived on a sheep station in the far west near Broken Hill.

The "farm" as everyone called it, was often the meeting place for family get togethers. Everyone would roll up with huge baskets of food and drink.  The big black kettle would be put over the small open fire in the old kitchen that my great grandmother used to cook in.  It was constantly kept on the boil to keep up with the copious quantities of tea that were made. The adults would sit around in the front garden, surrounded by huge old blue hydrangeas plants,  swapping stories  of days gone by, while all the kids would run wild, playing hide-and-seek etc. There were always strict rules not to go on parts of the old veranda, as the floorboards were rotten. At the back of the farm house there where huge old fruit trees and an outside loo and shed that was covered in a choco vine that had certainly got out of hand. Lots of great hiding places!!
After lunch, and more cups of tea, if we were lucky everyone would go up to the beach at The Point for a swim while the men folk tried their hand at fishing.  I  clearly remember spending time with my Nan using a stick with a short line and hook and bread  to catch little fish for bait. It was great fun. The farm has now been sold, but I do believe the old ruins of the original farm house are still there.

14 comments:

  1. Hello Diane, we live at Nelligen at "Riverbend" which was part of what was known as "Orange Grove". I keep a bit of an occasional blog on Nelligen at http://nelligennews.blogspot.com.au/ and wonder if I may link from my blog to your story about Acacia Farm?
    Best regards
    Peter & Padma Goerman
    riverbend@batemansbay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, yes I have seen your blog. it is great. I am very happy for you to link to this story. You will see on my other blog, about my grandmother I talk a little about Nelligen and Acacia Farm as well.
    http://womenfrommyfamilytree.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/christina-sterland-lee.html

    http://womenfrommyfamilytree.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/christina-part-two-letters-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane. great to see a photo of the old farm. My Grandmother was Eunice Lee.I Also remember going down to the point with my father Kevin Saunders to have a swim and do some fishing.
    Uncle Jordy & uncle Jim were a lot of fun to be around,I remember when we would sleep up there the sounds of the fruit bats in the fruit trees behind the house. And if i remember correctly you had to walk past those fruit trees to get to the old toilet.
    Regards Allan Saunders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allen, just saw your post! I have so many wonderful memories of the farm. I would love to hear more of your stories, and to catch up on some of the family history on your branch on the tree. I am Malcolm Shepherds daughter. Di

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diane.
    I remember one day at the farm Dad uncle Jim & uncle jordie had to go across the river to the thorpes farm to look at a sick cow and they said i could go with them in the boat.
    Well they took off without me and i went running down the paddock to try and catch them.
    Uncle jim saw me and yelled out we will come back and get you.When i saw how low in the water the boat was i thought to myself i aint getting in that and i yelled out dont bother i will go back to the house and off i went. That would have been mid to late sixties.
    Regards Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I can relate to that. I think all the Lee brothers were imposing, but Uncle Jim more so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane.I have a book that was given to me by my grandmother Eunice Lee.
    The book belonged to uncle Jim and it dates back to 1924 it has some articles in it
    from the Moruya Police station and some newspaper clipings about uncle Jim also.
    I would really love to have a chat to you about our Family history.
    Would it be possible for you to Email me your phone number?
    Regards Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Allan I am not sure how to contact you, would love to catch up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Diane. My Email Address is saunders.444@bigpond.com.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I am the daughter of Catherine lee and Grandaughter of Patricia lee and George lee. I lived there with my mother and my grandmother and my siblings for 14years. We built a new home above the old farm house. We sold the farm yes many years ago. My parents are now in Qld as well as my gran(pat)my grandfather passed away when I thi I was 5years old. Great memories. We as kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandparents lived on The Farm( Acacia Farm) Pat and George Lee. My mother moved on the farm with myself and my two siblings when I was I think 3 years old. I lived thee until I was 17 years old. We build a new home on the hill above the old home and had cattle and a piggery. We lived it. My grandmother Patricia now lives in north qld and my mother lives far north qld. I'm in Sydney and I'm about to take my partner down to nelligen and surrounding areas to share my childhood up bringing. It's lovely to search on the web and find a family link in some kind of way. Thank you for sharing your memories. I will mention this to my mother and grandmother, they will be shocked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sharon, so lovely to catch up. Thank you for contacting me, please say hi to Aunty Pat, tell her I am Malcolm's daughter. I remember the new home! I live in Sydney as well, you can contact me on dhewson77@gmail.com. Would love to chat

    ReplyDelete